The GRID Alternatives Greater Los Angeles (GLA) office opened in 2007 and serves Los Angeles, Orange and Ventura Counties. What we do is simple - using a volunteer model, we install solar electric systems for families in underserved communities at no-cost. Our impact however, is tremendous.
Through this simple act, we are able to provide families a long-term solution to high energy bills, and offer community members hands-on experience that can help them obtain employment in the rapidly growing solar industry, all while producing clean energy and reducing carbon emissions.
Here in Los Angeles we work with a wide variety of partners to accomplish our unique triple bottom line of people, planet, employment. We partner with local municipalities, corporations and foundations to provide the systems; businesses and community and technical colleges to provide job training; and nonprofit organizations, affordable housing providers, and other community organizations to reach the families we serve.
Since our opening, our friendly Greater Los Angeles team has installed more than 1,120 solar electric systems for low-income families with the assistance of volunteers and job trainees. These solar electric systems help families save on their electricity bills and become more financially stable, while increasing the use of renewable energy. We do all we can to bridge environmental and economic sustainability, while being a center for diverse communities and sectors to come together and do some good. There's a lot of work to be done and a lot of fun to be had - so join us!
GRID Alternatives provides no- to very-low-cost solar power for low-income families while providing hands-on installation experience for job seekers and community volunteers. We also offer technical assistance and turnkey installation services to multifamily affordable housing developers. Learn more.
Hands-on experience is central to our model, and we want to help turn that experience into meaningful employment opportunities for people in communities we serve. Our workforce development programs and initiatives include:
- Installation Training Programs, training programs offering participants hands-on installation training to develop their skills and increase employment opportunities.
- National Women in Solar Program, an effort to build a diverse, equitable and inclusive solar industry by providing pathways to technical careers for women, highlighting the voices of women of color in the industry, and providing national leadership on solar workforce diversity.
- SolarCorps Fellowships, one-year placements at GRID Alternatives that give participants the opportunity to get broad and deep experience in a variety of aspects of the industry.
- Solar Futures, a K-14 education program offering classroom curriculum and hands-on training for youth.
- Troops to Solar, an initiative supported by Wells Fargo to connect veterans to solar industry jobs by providing workforce training to U.S. military veterans and active service members across the country.