Gain hands-on solar installation experience through Solar Works DC !
Solar Works DC is a newly designed low-income solar installation and job training program spearheaded by the Department of Energy & Environment (DOEE) and the Department of Employment Services (DOES). GRID Alternatives Mid-Atlantic is responsible for implementing the first year of the program, preparing participating District residents to enter careers in solar and related industries while reducing energy costs for qualified low-income District homeowners by installing solar systems on their homes.
Two 12-week cohorts will operate in the Fall and Spring and will be open to District residents, ages 18 and over. Participants in the 12-week sessions will complete GRID’s Installation Basics Training (IBT) program, earning industry relevant skills certificates by demonstrating competency in real-world solar installations. In addition, the participants will attend customer outreach and construction workshops as well as receive CPR and OSHA 10 certifications, and take the NABCEP PV Associate Credential exam. During the summer, a six-week prorated program will run for DC residents ages 18-24. Read our trainees' testimonials about the program.
- Training is 12 weeks long
- 2-3 days weekly of construction, outreach and workforce workshops
- 1-2 days installing per week
- $9.25/hour training wage plus a stipend for wraparound services
Please note this program is only open to District residents
- 12 week commitment
- Interest in and has enthusiasm for renewable energy, community development, green jobs and/or helping families and communities in need
- Trainees are expected to work up to 35 hours per week
- Available to work long days and ability to lift at least 50 lbs
- Self-starter and ability to work independently as well as in a team
- Flexibility and willingness to embrace change, go the extra mile, and bring ideas and energy to rapidly evolving organization
The Spring cohort recruitment process is now closed. Check back later for details regarding the Fall program.
Want to get involved in Solar Works DC? Read what our past trainees have to say about the program.
Do you have any questions about the program? Talk to our workforce team: 202-602-0191.
Thanks to our partners for making this program possible!