Updated: June 1, 2020
Safety is a core GRID value. With the rapid spread of the new coronavirus (COVID-19), we want to share with you the response GRID is taking to slow the spread of the virus and limit potential exposure for our staff, our partners, our volunteers and trainees, and the communities we work with as we continue our work expanding renewable energy access.
In addition to following guidance from the Center for Disease Control (CDC), World Health Organization and local health authorities, we are also deeply engaged with our solar industry partners, particularly those with construction operations, and other nonprofits to learn from each other and cultivate best practices across our organizations and companies.
GRID is taking the following actions in response to COVID-19:
- All of GRID's physical offices are closed and staff, with the exception of construction staff and limited essential personnel, are working from home.
- We are currently assessing safe protocols for re-opening GRID offices as cities and states lift stay-at-home orders.
- We continue to safely install solar, making solar's benefits accessible to families, while following health and safety guidance from industry leaders and local public health officials. Learn more about how GRID is installing solar safely.
- In-person volunteer installations, including corporate sponsored workdays, are canceled until further notice. Volunteer orientation and other events are being held online.
- International Program trips are postponed until further notice. Projects in Mexico, Nicaragua and Nepal have been paused.
- Solar Spring Break 2020 trips were canceled beginning March 16 and student engagement moved online.
- Large in-person job training cohorts has been put on pause. We are implementing new distance learning job training opportunities and assessing how we offer safe hands-on job training.
- All outreach activities are being conducted remotely. You can still see if you qualify for our Energy for All program!
GRID's premier fundraiser, Interconnection 2020, was held as an online event on May 7, 2020. Thanks to your support, we raised over $100,000 while bringing our community together online to support and fight for resilience and climate justice! 100% of funds raised go directly to support GRID's mission. Thank you for making our first online gala such a success!
It is times like these that remind us how incredibly grateful we are for the GRID community. Thank you!
Tim & Erica
P.S. This message will be continually updated. You can learn more about the financial impact of the crisis on GRID's operations here. We appreciate your continued support of our work during this time.